Gratitude Challenge for the Classroom
With Thanksgiving coming up, it’s a good time to find a gratitude challenge for kids. Research on gratitude has shown that a regular gratitude practice has lots of benefits.
People (and kids) who practice gratitude have better physical health. They sleep better, feel better about themselves, and have more mental resilience.
Daily Classroom Gratitude Challenge
We challenge you to practice gratitude in your class!
Here are two weeks of daily gratitude questions you can pose to your class leading up to Thanksgiving break. These questions motivate students to look for the good around them. Depending on the age group, you might consider the following ways to practice the gratitude challenge as a class:
- Students use a private journal
- Students write their answers on slips of paper and drop them into a bowl
- Create a class gratitude poster every day
- Students think about their answers and then talk about it
We recommend that you NOT force students to share but that you DO participate yourself -- modeling is the best teaching when it comes to social and emotional learning.
12 Gratitude Questions to Ask Your Students
- Name a food you’re grateful for. Any specific reason?
- Name a place in the neighborhood or in your home that you’re grateful for. Why?
- Name a person in school with whom you don’t talk a lot but who you think is admirable. Why?
- What is your favorite time of day? Why?
- What’s something that you own that you’re grateful for? Why?
- What’s something that happened to you in the past year that you’re grateful for? Why are you grateful for that event?
- What holiday do you like the most? Why?
- What’s a song or movie that makes you happy? Why?
- What’s your favorite season of the year? Why?
- What’s something about your body that you’re grateful for?
- What’s something that’s been hard for you but that you’re grateful for? Why?
- Who is a person who has been helpful to you? How?
We’d love to hear how it goes - email us at email@example.com - and let us know if you have other gratitude prompts or share any pics you have.
Get The Full Lesson
Empowering Education offers full lesson plans for teachers on teaching kids about gratitude.